Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Sweater Design Attempt

One of my best girlfriends gave me four balls of yarn. It is a linen, cotton and acrylic blend. And it is pink with flecks of cream. I guess this is a theme for my knitting this year. Her mother-in-law began knitting a complex vest of cables and bobbles and other bits. So, naturally I frogged it and started my own thing.

I'm having a few difficulties with this piece. One is the linen spun into the yarn. It behaves like steel wool! I pull it out when I'm knitting and I can feel it! I can't imagine what it'll feels like against my skin! Eek!

The other difficulty is my inability to knit lace. I have a simple instruction,

Row 1: *yo, ssk, k2tog.* Knit to end.

Row 2: slip 1, purl to end.

Repeat Rows 1 and 2 until desired length.

And I can't seem to get it straight. I messed up big time and I'll be doing some frogging this week.

Inspired by the Gypsy sexy creature in the Vogue Fall 2005 issue.

4 comments:

Lis said...

Maybe I'm not seeing it right, but I'm not sure that I see the problem you're having. I swatched a bit of Gypsy's last just this past weekend and that looks about right. The finer gauge on your piece is quite nice. :)

Christie said...

Will 4 balls be enough for a sweater? I hope that it works out...sometimes the simple instructions are the ones that give you the most pain!

seagrrlz said...

linen is one of those fibres that are a bitch to knit w/ 9 kills the hands and is rough) but once washed, soften right up

Twiss And Weber said...

Hey friends, thanks for your comments!

I posted it real fast yesterday and omitted a few things. Thanks for keeping me on my toes!

Lissa, I've knit more lace since the photo was taken and I botched it up so much that ticking back would cause great strife in the world. So, I'magonna frog to the knitting.

Christie, it's actually a sleeveless sweater. I'm going to make some drawings of my "vision" of the piece... please stay tuned.

Newfie, thanks for the advice. I thought about the softening after a wash, but damn those bits are ugly! And since this is a sample for my first attempt at a design... I wouldn't hesitate to rough it up and throw it into the laundry.