Sunday, September 23, 2007

KIC: The Completed Version

It has been brought to light, thanks KnottyKnitPicks, the instructions for C3B-K1 which are in Rows 8 and 18, were not quite right. But they are now! As well as the neckline instructions are corrected. Thanks pointing that out and solving the problem KKP!

Yarn Weight: Chunky Yarn
For the sample, I'm using Cascade Yarns, Eco+ 100% Peruvian Highland Wool, colour # 0958

Two skeins were purchased for this project and have quite a lot left over, but not enough for sleeves.

Needles Size: Size 6mm Circular needles

Gauge: eeek!

(as requested) Finished Measurements of the Sample:

Yoke width (from top to bottom)= 11cm or 4 1/4"

Yoke length (circumference)= 118cm or 46 1/2"

Neckline depth to yoke measures 8cm or 3"

Armhole measures 19cm or 11 1/2"

Centre Front placket length= 54cm or 21 1/4"

Centre Back length= 55cm or 21 1/2"

Abbreviations

K= Knit

P= Purl

K2Tog= K two together

C6B = Slip next 3 sts onto cable needle and hold at back of work, knit next 3 sts from left hand needle, then knit sts from cable needle.

C6F = Slip next 3 sts onto cable needle and hold at front of work, knit next 3 sts from left hand needle, then knit sts from cable needle.

C1B-K3 = Slip next stitch onto cable needle and hold at back of work, knit next 3 sts on left needle. Purl stitch from cable needle.

C3F-P1 = Slip next 3 sts onto cable needle and hold at front of work; purl next stitch on left needle. Knit sts from cable needle.

C1F-P3 = Slip next stitch onto cable needle and hold at front of work; purl next 3 sts on left needle. Knit stitch from cable needle.

C3B-K1 = Slip next 3 sts onto cable needle and hold at back of work; KNIT next stitch on left needle. PURL stitches from cable needle.

C2F= Slip 2 sts onto cable needle and hold at front of work.

C3B= Slip 3 sts onto cable needle and hold at back of work.


NB: This pattern is for an asymmetric cardigan, just like the photo I ripped out from the British Vogue.


The First Chunk, The Yoke [The repeat for cable pattern is Rows 2-21.]

CO 22 sts. Row 1 P5, K12, P5.

Row 2 Slip 1. K4, P12, K5.

Row 3 Slip 1. P4, C6B, C6B, P5.

Row 4 Slip 1. K4, P12, K5.

Row 5 Slip 1. P4, K12, P5.

Row 6 Slip 1. K4, P12, K5.

Row 7 Slip 1. P3, C1B-K3, C6F, C3F-P1, P4.

Row 8 Slip 1. K2, C1F-P3, K1, P6, K1, C3B-K1, K3.

Row 9 Slip 1. P1, C1B-K3, P2, K6, P2, C3F-P1, P2.

Row 10 Slip 1. K1, P3, K3, P6, K3, P3, K2.

Row 11 Slip 1. P1, K3, P3, K6, P3, K3, P2.

Row 12 Slip 1. K1, P3, K3, P6, K3, P3, K2.

Row 13 Slip 1. P1, K3, P3, C6F, P3, K3, P2.

Row 14 Slip 1. K1, P3, K3, P6, K3, P3, K2.

Row 15 Slip 1. P1, K3, P3, K6, P3, K3, P2.

Row 16 Slip 1. K1, P3, K3, P6, K3, P3, K2.

Row 17 Slip 1. P1, C3F-P1, P2, K6, P2, C1B-K3, P2.

Row 18 Slip 1. K2, C3B-K1, K1, P6, K1, C1F-P3, K3.

Row 19 Slip 1. P3, C3F-P1, C6F, C1B-K3, P4.

Row 20 Slip 1. K4, P12, K5.

Row 21 Slip 1. P4, K12, P5.

Repeat pattern for 12 times.

Do not cut yarn.

The Neckline

With live yarn and wrong side facing pick up 124 stitches along the length of the yoke.

Row 1: (RS) Knit this row.

Row 2: Slip the first stitch, stitch Purl to end.

Row 3: (WS) Slip 1, k2. k1, k2tog, repeat to last 3 stitches, knit to end. (decreasing row to 85 sts).

Row 4 and 6: (RS) Continue in reverse stockinette.

Row 5: (WS) Knit to end.

Row 7: (WS) Slip 1, k2. k1, k2tog, repeat to last 3 stitches, knit to end. (decreasing row to 59 sts).

Row 8: (RS) Continue in reverse stockinette.

Row 9: (WS) Slip 1, k2. k1, k2tog, repeat to last 3 stitches, knit to end. (decreasing row to 42sts).

Row 10: (RS) Knit this row.

Row 11: (WS) Bind off.

The Second Chunk, The Body

With a new yarn and wrong side facing pick up 124 stitches along the bottom length of the yoke.

Row 1: (RS) Knit through the back loop of 18 stitches, transfer 25 stitches to stitch holder (for right armhole), knit through back loop of 30 stitches, transfer 25 stitches to stitch holder (for left armhole), knit through the back loop of the next 26 stitches to end.

Row 2: (WS) Knit front and back of each stitch, increasing row to 124 stitches.

The Cables

Cable A

Row 1: Purl 1, Knit 6, Purl 1, Slip 1 Knitwise

Row 2: Knit

Row 3: Purl 1, C2F, K2, K2, P1, Slip 1 Knitwise

Row 4: Knit

Row 5: Purl 1, K6, P1, Slip 1 Knitwise

Row 6: Knit

Row 7: Purl 1, K2, C2F, K2, P1, Slip 1 Knitwise

Row 8: Knit

Cable B

Row 1: Purl 1, Knit 9, Purl 1, Slip 1 Knitwise

Row 2: Knit

Row 3: Purl 1, K9, Purl 1, Slip 1 Knitwise

Row 4: Knit

Row 5: Purl 1, K3, C3B, K3, Purl 1, Slip 1 Knitwise

Row 6: Knit

Row 7: Purl 1, K9, Purl 1, Slip 1 Knitwise

Row 8: Knit

Row 9: Purl 1, C3B, K6, Purl 1, Slip 1 Knitwise

Row 6: Knit

Row 7: Purl 1, K9, P1, Slip 1 Knitwise

Row 8: Knit

Slipping the first stitch of each row, set up your cables using the following formula:

A, B, B, A,

B, A, B, A, B, A,

A, A, B, A.

During the knitting of the cables, increase every 10 rows by stitching the front and back of each stitch before and after slipping the knit stitch in Cables A and B.

(note: do not increase at the slipped stitch closest to the opening of the cardigan, as this area needs to be straight and any flare would cause the sweater to lay wonky on your body and nobody needs that!)

Knit to 8 complete increases.

Bind off.

Placket

Along the edge of the opening, pick up stitches from one extreme edge to the other and knit stockinette through the back loop of each stitch, Purl the next row and then bind off. Do the same for the other side.

Apply snaps, or domes, at key intersections:

  1. neckline
  2. neckline meets yoke
  3. yoke meets body
  4. in the middle of numbers 2 and 3
  5. the distance of number 4 twice more below number 3

Cap Sleeves

Knit stockinette through the back loop of each stitch from the stitch holder, Purl the next row and then bind off for the last row. Do the same for the other armhole.

Weave in all your stray yarns. Take a photo and log it on your blog or your Ravelry profile!

This is a work in progress. I am not a knitwear pattern maker. When there are problems, please let me know. I'll do my best to correct this pattern with your help.

* * * * *

Thanks goes out to all those who've contacted me and asked me questions about the pattern. To Ms. Olgajazzy who consistently posts about great fashion and knitting related topics and Ms KnottyKnitPicks who recently left me a comment that got me thinking and which lead me to this post.

If only I could be a knitwear designer.

32 comments:

Salaam & Shanti Bariatric Yoga said...

where can I see a pic of the finished object?

Anonymous said...

Thank you! It looks great! I just logged on today to get an idea for yarn to start this and saw you've just posted the whole pattern! Thank you so much! :)

Please could you give me an idea of measurements on the sample? I'm having a go tonight on trying to work mine out.

Twiss And Weber said...

Hi Clare,
I've posted the finished measurements of the sample. I hope it helps!

Laura

Anonymous said...

It looks great! I only doubt if it "wearable", I mean doesn't the whole construction go up when you lift hands?
Adelina

Twiss And Weber said...

Adelina, as the all the photos suggest, wear something under your cardigans.

Anonymous said...

Brilliant - thanks. I've finished the yoke but its looking a bit long - just off to measure now!!
Thanks again

lekkercraft said...

I still love this. I'm glad to see all the instructions together - thank you! I especially love it with cap sleeves over the longsleeve t-shirt.

Anonymous said...

how many skeins of yarn did you end up using to knit the top?

Unknown said...

did you see Lion Brand's version of this sweater? it looks remarkably like yours.

Unknown said...

I wasn't implying anything untoward - I just noticed the similarity.

Anonymous said...

I'm just about to start knitting the body and I'm running into some difficulty with the cables. Could you please clarify the following for me:

Using the instructions for cable A as an example, for row 3, where you've instructed "...C2F, K2, K2...", when you say C2F, K2... do you mean C2F then knit the next two stitches and THEN knit the stitches from the cable needle OR do you mean C2F, knit the next two stitches AND then knit the second K2 and THEN knit the stitches from the cable needle? The reason why I'm asking is that my cables are not looking like the ones you knitted and I was wondering if I was doing something wrong.

knottyknitpicks said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
knottyknitpicks said...

omg! thank you! i even logged on to my 2 knitting boards to post and asked for similar patterns to your version (i wanted a cardigan) but every version of the pringle sweater was a pullover. i appreciate the time you put into this final pattern. it truly is a beautiful cardigan and i truly thank you!!!

Anonymous said...

in response to patti's comment

i think the issue is that in the body cables where it says to knit the even rows, it should really be a K1, P6, K3 (for cable A) and K1, P9, K3 (for cable B).

anyone else notice this???

thanks for putting up the pattern, i've just picked up my finished yoke & starting on the body now...

Anonymous said...

sorry
i meant K1,P6,K2 for cable A and K1,P9,K2 for cable B

Anonymous said...

yes, I got that too - I took it as knit the first time I read it but I think it just means work the row as set. I hope so - it's what I'm doing!

Anonymous said...

Ok - help! I'm stuck on this. I think I'm doing something fundamentally wrong.
I've switched to a swatch but I think I'm really misinterpreting this. Help!

Glaistig said...

Thanks Madame for posting the rest of the pattern! I really appreciate your sharing this with us :)

I posted on Ravelry about doing the Cable Luxe pattern but I have decided to return to and finish my Miss Twiss yoke. Merci!

Anonymous said...

Thank you thank you thank you so much! I had set this aside for the summer (it was just too darn hot to even think about sweaters), but I'm so glad to have the pattern to pick it up again.
+Chelsea
ps: I think your KIC is way more interesting than the Cable Luxe pattern, as well.

knottyknitpicks said...

hi miss twiss!!
i've casted on w/ malabrigo yarn i got from a swap last year, but i've come across some things i am having trouble with.

for some reason, after knitting my row 8, i get a purl stitch where it looks like a knit stitch should be - so i am wondering if i'm doinf something wrong with the C3B-K1 of row 8. anyhow, i looked ahead and noticed in teh NECKLINE instructions, Rows 5 & 6 are missing. can you clarify that? thanks!

knottyknitpicks said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
knottyknitpicks said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
knottyknitpicks said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
knottyknitpicks said...

(i'm so sorry about all those delete posts - it's late, and i'm so tired - but i really wanted to work on this cardigan)

gah - i just noticed that Cables A also is missing Rows 5 & 6. :(

but i think i figured out that funky "purl when it should have been a knit stitch" after row 8 & 18. C3B-K1 should read Slip next 3 sts onto cable needle & hold in back, KNIT next st on left needle, PURL sts from cable needle.

Anonymous said...

So where rows 5 and 6 are missing, i just thought that carried on from the instruction on row 4, so I just carried on knitting them in reverse stockinette - was that wrong? It looks ok...
On the body, I am having problems with the cables. Sorry to be a nuisance but is it possible to get a close up shot of the cables so I can see where I'm going wrong (and can I check - Cable A is an 8 row repeat and Cable B is a 12 row repeat yeah?). I totally appreciate I'm being a pain when you posted it as a free patten - so I'm really sorry.

Quiara said...

Wow. It's gorgeous! Great work!

Anonymous said...

are you using the two strands of yarn held together?

Twiss And Weber said...

Dear Dana,

I've used: a Chunky Yarn Cascade Yarns, Eco+ 100% Peruvian Highland Wool, colour # 0958

Two skeins were purchased for this project and have quite a lot left over, but not enough for sleeves.

Two skeins were purchased, one used at a time.

Chelsea said...

love, love, love this sweater! thanks so much for the pattern. one quick question, though - after finishing the yoke and before picking up the 124 stitches for the neckline, do i bind-off the end of the finished yoke?

thanks!

gollyjess said...

Hello Miss Twiss. I am knitting this sweater following your instructions. I have a similar question to that of someone who already posted. On the body cables, you have instructions for C2F, K2, K2 ... I am wondering if it should be C2F, K2, than knit two from cable needle, than the last K2. Or is there something else I am supposed to do? Thanks so much for undertaking this project, what a talent for divining the creation gorgeous knit sweaters!

Twiss And Weber said...

Hi January Gyspy,

Thanks for your question, instructions can be overwhelming especially when all you want to do is whip through them to get to your final result!

After you've finished the knitting of the yoke which looks more and more like a scarf, "Do not cut yarn."

Then, "with live yarn" and wrong side facing pick up 124 stitches along the length of the yoke.

Have fun knitting, and thanks for reading!

Laura

anna251 said...

can you send me the scheme because i dont understand very good the text how to do this pretty work
amelya25@live.com

thank you
nice day