Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Beauty and Booty

Last Sunday night, my guy and I went to le grand ville de Montreal to see M.I.A. and Diplo open for the LCD Soundsystem. It was held at Le Tulipe.

M.I.A.
She shook it naturally. She is long and beautiful. Her posse girl, Cherry, could be a contender for the 100m dash. Lucky for M.I.A., Cherry is her back up girl. While Cherry girl has the pipes, M.I.A. has the brains. That's why the gig is named after her. Although it could be a touch of propaganda.

M.I.A. is the daughter of a known Tamil Tiger. Her name is Maya Arulpragasam. She grew up in an appartment in Phipps Bridge Housing Estate. She graduated from Central St. Martins College of Art and Design. Is this a rags to riches story? She did all the design on her CD. Much of the eye candy on her video "Galang". Although she isn't familiar with stage preformance she can move real good.

When my boyfriend was paying too much attention to the booty instead of the music, she messed up the the lyrics, but Diplo quickly and without pause rewound and rebooted her que which she mannaged to pull off. But she is a quick learn. Sunday nite's show, well if I could be Simon for a moment, the encore was very off-pitch but she turned it around and pulled it off in the end, with Cherry and Diplo's help.

M.I.A. is a very talented and unique entertainer. Talented and unique artist is questionable, even with her degree. One must have a discussion on where commercial art stops (grafiti and fashion for example) and where art begins.

Go here to read a music blogger in 'the know' who wrote about MIA back in March.

No comments: